Friday, March 23, 2012

scouts, scouts, and more scouts...!

Since Andrew joined cub scouts this year - it is also his first PINEWOOD DERBY!  Yes folks! that all important right of passage for young boys! Building a car and racing it! (or helping dad build a car and race it!)  It was a great event and the boys had a lot of fun! Here is Andrew with his car....he was very proud of it! He loved the color he choose and the sleek design that dad helped him choose. 
Weighing in - the cars have to be 5 oz or under and the heavier the faster....we came in at 4.9 oz....pretty darn close!

We had a sibling race and I helped Eric make a quick car - just bought a pre-cut one at Michaels with a coupon...only five bucks - Eric couldn't have been more pleased!  Here he is with his car!

This is the guy we rented the track from... he was great! I loved that he let the boys start the races and retrieve their own cars.  and after the official race was over he let them keep racing just for fun....I think they loved that most of all.  We will definately keep him in mind for next year - he was great! :)
Here are all our pack's cars - minus one that came a bit late.  I never did get a picture of that one.  They are a good looking bunch of cars.  I love the variety!
Andrew's turn to start the race!
Cubmaster Thomas setting the cars on the track!
And they are off.....
Racing, racing, racing...
Check out that watching enthusiasm.
Ben and Bryant check out Ben's car...
Here they come....."I hope mine is first!"
The sibling race!
Yes, that is Andrew running to get his car!
Recieving awards for their cars... Andrew's read... the Sleekest car! and He came in 4th overall! Way to go Andrew! I loved that he was excited just to participate!
Here are our 1st, 2nd, 3rd place winners... Caleb - 1st , Asher - 2nd, and Levi - 3rd!
A great group of scouts! Way to go pack 342! (and future members of the pack!)

Next, these pictures are random ones I took when Jeff got home from his first 11 year old scout overnighter! Yay Jeff.  I always think that it will be a break when he's gone, but it never is....I always just miss him.  I guess I really love the guy! Any way.  The campout was a fun and they passed off lots of stuff -reportedly.  They had two boys and their dads come.  Chris, Jeff's assistant leader wasn't able to go at the last minute because of work and he was really bummed... had even got his scout shirt and everything.. so hopefully he'll get to go on the next one!
Here's some of his gear
Playing with Bryant just after  he got home.
Cleaning up the cooler..
Isn't he handsome in a uniform?! I sure think so!  Ugh, I hate when my pictures don't turn right....oh well...turn your head!  Glad to have him home!
As the unit commissioner over these scouts...I have to say that I am pleased at how the organizations are being run! Great job everyone! :)

1 comment:

The Gerharts said...

Becca -- I love your blog! It' been a while since I checked it and it is so fun to see what you are up to. Cute cute family and what a great car Andrew built! Sarah