This one took about two weeks out of my life, so it needs to be told. Where to start...oh, okay the beginning I suppose is always a good place. So, Easter, that Sunday night about 9 am, we were visiting Grandma and grandpa Seegmiller and I was sitting in the rust colored lazy boy chair chatting with the Lukows when Bryant, who'd been playing just fine all day, even ten minutes earlier, came and crawled on my lap and wanted to cuddle and fell asleep. He felt warm, a little too warm... well it had been a long day I thought. But still when we got home about 10:30 p.m. (I know a bit late) I gave him some ibprophen, some cool water, held him for a little bit, and put him back to bed as he felt a little cooler. Then I went to bed. About 2 1/2 hours later he came into our room and woke me up, I picked him up and he was burning up...took his temperature and it was 104.3 ...I kinda got a little nervous since it hadn't even been 3 hours since I gave him meds, so I couldn't give him more, I didn't know if I should take him to er, so I called the nurse line. The very nice night nurse..I forgot his name was very calming and very helpful. He instructed a bath and let it cool naturally for awhile. I did and it worked. and I gave him some tylonel per his instructions. Back to bed. At this point I just chalked it up to a bug. The next morning is where it kind of freaked me out and I finally made a call to the doctor's office... Bloody stools...definately not normal. And he was so lethargic, not wanting to do anything but be held and sleep.
The doctor visit yielded instructions to continue the ibeprophen/tylenol every 4 hours and try to keep him hydrated. and stool samples, lots of them, not to mention some blood work as well. Tuesday morning all those were complete. By thursday his fever was supsided, however the bloody stools still hadn't, so Friday morning we went back to the doctor to see if they had any results on the labs. only the blood work was back and that all looked good, dr. Bryan decided that we should go to a pediatric gi specialist. He said by about monday they should call. So we waited. Bryant was better, but not better, still wanting to be held a lot, hence my not getting much done except comforting my baby.
Poor little man... alas now it was my turn...on Sunday early morning about 2 a.m. I woke up with chills and fever...unlike I had remembered for a looonnng time. I finally took a bath to warm up, since I couldn't quit shaking. I felt sooo sick. Jeff took the kids to church, except for Bryant and I stayed home. I was on looowww function, that's for sure.. I lost my appetite (which I never do) and don't think I ate for four or five days...forced myself to keep hydrated and that was a feat at that. Monday, I took everyone to their various destinations...then came home and slept while kids played. I got a interesting phone message while I was out from the Nevada Health department saying I needed to call back immediately. So I did, they had gotten Bryant's lab results...he had what was called camphlobacter (sp?) She explained it was similar to salmanella poisoning - lovely I thought. Anyway, she had to ask me a lot of questions about where I'd been and what I'd eaten...I'm sure making sure the public was safe from an outbreak.
We finally figured out that we contacted it when we visited the chickens and goats on break... I'm sure that even though we thourohly sanitzed everyone Bryant was just too quick for me and put his little hands in his mouth or near his eyes and he's been in the chicken coup. And when i mentioned I'd just gotten sick too, she said it was most likely I had it as well. Lovely... Well at least now I knew.
Rachel had a check up at the doctor that afternoon, so I thought I'd just ask about it then. and I stirred up a hornets nest. Apparently, someone had missed the result and didn't put in on the doctors desk, but everyone was sooo nice and apologetic. Well, long story, to stop from getting longer, Medicine was prescribed for Bryant, and I got myself to the doctor with a copy of Bryant's lab tests and meds were prescribed for me... We did a lot of sleeping, not a lot of eating, and not much of anything. We got better...it took two weeks, one taking care of Bryant, one me.. but thankfully we are better. and I hope never to have that one again! :) Oh yes, and I don't think I would have even been able to cope without my wonderful friends and visiting teacher who helped take care of my kids while I was recovering. My visit teacher even coming right over after I texted 'help?' one morning while I had to pullover and puke, after dropping off kids to school. She cleaned my home and watched my kids while I rested. Glad to have such wonderful people in my life.
2 comments:
What a nightmare, Rebecca! I'm glad you guys are doing better!
Wow. I am so sorry that you guys got that.. Not fun. Glad you are feeling better.
Post a Comment