Sunday, May 12, 2013

A quick trip for a wonderful man.

My uncle, my dad's brother, died last Saturday. (May 4)  (It seems like the Woolfenden men like to leave this world in May )  Uncle Mike has always been there in my life.  He and my aunt Susi and their kids (my cousins) were always around.  I knew them.  I loved them.  We played and talked and I even went to college with some of them.  Holidays, reunions, etc.  Family is family.  I will miss Mike, just as I miss my dad. I know they are together now with their father.  What a reunion I imagine that is.  This is the last picture I have of them together.  It was taken in 2002 at Marc and Michelles wedding on the St. George Temple grounds.  It's how I imagine they are now... talking and joking and working... I know they are busy working.  My dad never got to go on a mission here, but I know he's on one now. 
Mike had been sick for awhile.  I don't remember exactly when, but it was years before my dad died even that Mike had his gallbladder removed and when it was removed they discovered that his liver was riddled with sirrousis (not sure how you spell that.)  He's never drank a drink in his life and they talked about transplant, but Mike didn't want that.  (I'm not surprised.)  He was never afraid to die, was always close to Heavenly Father.  I think he will only miss his loved ones and wait for glorious reunions.  We all can't believe he lived as long as he did.  I think he did for two reasons.  one, because he has an amazing wife (my aunt susi) who is also an amazing nurse.  and two, because he spent his days in service to the Lord.  He worked at the temple until he wasn't able to anymore.  What an example that was to me of how we spend our life.  It really is up to us and our example is far reaching.  I know Uncle Mike's example reached many.  My brother Marc for one credits much of his wake up and testimony to the influence of Mike. 
The funeral was held on the 9th - (in the middle of the week)  so, my mom, Marc, Joel, Ellyn, Jessie and I took off on a really quick trip.  We left after school on Wed. and spent the night.  Hung around that morning and met up with family for lunch at Manuel's - Kaye (Jeff's sister) was able to join us as well which was really fun.  Then we rested and changed for the funeral.  After which we left and returned home.  Like I said quick trip.  The funeral didn't start til 6:30 and we left to return home around 9 pm.  I am just glad we had four drivers so that we could trade off driving.  :)  We had some good brother/sister bonding time. We missed Sam and know he wanted to be there as well, but was unable to come. We visited with lots of family their for the funeral.  The funeral itself was very nice.  I loved the singing the most, for each song I could hear Dad and Mike singing along.  It was beautiful.  We stayed and grabbed something to eat afterwards and then got some gas before heading out.
The trip itself was fun and long driving, but made shorter by the good talks had.  I savor the moments I'm able to spend with my family and treasure the disscussions had with mom, brothers, and sisters. I'm grateful for my eternal family.  I was happy to make it home to my own little growing family and am so glad to have such in my life.  Family is life and the reason we are here.  Thank you uncle Mike for your life and legacy. You will be missed.  Till we meet again. :)
Uncle Mike.   They also had a lot of his things out that he treasured.  I love the fact that Mike and I served in the same mission (years and years apart) but nevertheless the same Netherlands.  I hope we found those who we were sent to find.  :) 

Bryant came along with me as well.  He was so good the whole time and I enjoyed spending some one on one with him... Here's where we stopped for some dinner in Kingman.

Getting to see Aunt Kaye in Mesa.  The little doll Joel one for him in the claw machine.  He was sooooooooo excited about it! Thanks uncle Joel.

Marc, our cousin Seth, and and old friend I forget his name.  :)

No comments: