Monday, April 21, 2008

Add an hour for each child.....


One of my brother's in law (Kevin Ashby) once told me (and Jeff) that when you travel you must add an hour travel time for each child. So if it would normally take you 4 hours to go somewhere and you have 2 children, plan on 6 hours. Well, I have to say that this is also true when it comes to getting anything else done! Homework, housework, yardwork, you name it - if it should take me a half hour, now takes me 3 hours, what once I could do it 3 hours takes all week. It just took me over four hours to finish my assignment that probably would have taken me maybe one back in college - however as I was working on it - I had to clean up the spilt yogurt, make lunch, take a book break with the kids, randomly check and make sure the kids are still playing nicely or watching kid friendly show when they get to quiet and I'm not sure what they are into. Assignments done, the kids are still alive and kicking - so, mission accomplished and yippee!!

5 comments:

Bethany said...

Sooooooo true, Rachel! Making a couple of quick phone calls, shooting off a little email, dropping by the store to pick up a gallon of milk...fast tasks no more! Then again, the tasks become so much more fascinating when you do them with kids who are still interested in learning the process of HOW to do it themselves. Frustrating, but sometimes more exciting. :-)

Meghan said...

I feel like I move in slow motion too. In fact, Bret is pulling on the computer cord right now, making it impossible to type. Good job getting your assignment done and keeping the family alive at the same time! You deserve a medal!

Cami said...

Funny...one day they'll be moving too fast for us to keep up.

Bridget said...

This is so true! Great observation!

c-natalie-l-k-l said...

Great job finishing your work!!!!! I agree-any work with kids is a big task!!!! And I only have one! I don't know how you do it!