Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Taking care of the Seegmillers...

What does that mean? taking care of the Seegmillers?  Taking care of them is my greatest endeavor in this season of my life - one that I cherish with every little bit of myself, and one that takes all my energy and then some at times. With this wonderful responsibility I am grateful to have by my side a wonderful man who is my helpmate, husband, friend, and great father to our children.  I couldn't do it without him.  So how to take care of the Seegmillers - well - here's a few of the many...
  • feed - These people in my family, they like to eat (go figure) and sometimes they like to eat a lot, so we grocery shop and we cook and we pack lunches and we feed these little people so they will grow healthy and strong.  We don't buy a lot of junk food around here - mainly because I have a little sneak, who gets into everything even if it's hidden, so I try to buy healthy snacks for him to sneak! :)  I have many helpers in the kitchen, they all want to help me make dinner or cookies, or cut apples.  I am grateful to have my helpers.
Yum, yum....um?

  •  Clean - now after everyone has finished eating, there is the cleaning to do - the oh so much cleaning...First, there is cleaning up of the children -washing hands, faces, feet, etc.  Then, there is the kitchen, cleaning up of the cooking...and then there is more cleaning (you see after digesting said food, it must be eliminated - gross I know, but in our house we are thankful for such things - if you know andrew, you know why.)  Then there is changing of diapers and wiping of bums.. (not to be grafic, it's just part of the job) 
  • Play - you may think this is just fun, and it is, yet it is also important and I find that sometimes I have to remind myself to stop and play with my kids.  (busied by the daily grind) I kow that the time I have to do so is so precious.  I love the joy that comes from this part of the job.  Some of our favorite things to do are go for walks, ride bikes, scooters, skateboards, build legos, read books, play dolls, dress up, paint, color, throw balls, catch balls, etc.  
  •  Teach - this too is one of my favorite parts of my job! It is also a little all inclusive and I feel at times that all day is full of teaching moments.  There is soooo much to teach and I don't like to waste the moments given.  There is education - learning to read, write, homework from school.  There is spiritual education - making sure my children have an understanding of the gospel, the scriptures, and know that I have faith in God and his plan for us. There is temporal life - learning how to take care of house, and hygene and each other. There is kindness and service and learning to enjoy - So important in this life.  
  •  Health - aw, this one is challenging - among my many titles as mother, is that of nurse and when one gets sick, don't they all get sick....or does it just feel like that some times?  and then there is just the maintanence - dr. well checks, dentist visits, etc.  Taking care of everyone is  a big job - and most often I leave myself for last - I've been trying to be better about this and take care of my self as well (in order to be able to take care of others, I have to take care of me, right?) Over the course of this last month I can't even remember how many times we've been to the dentist or doctor or eye doctor, or pharmacy, or..... for me or the kids. I have to say here that I am soooooo grateful for the health insurance we have, I can't imagine what kind of money it would cost us without it - again thankful for Jeff's job and the insurance we have through said job....:)
After the doctor's office, we are waiting at the pharmacy....Bryant waiting....and waiting,... and still being so good.
This one is a self portrait - my first (hopefully last) root canal - really good endodontist, but not so fun to do. I know, cute picture, but I was brave so - go me!
Eric entertaining himself while waiting at the pharmacy for lovely drugs to cure the illness....silly boy - he sure is a character! 
Rachel, not having fun...feeling like crud (with a double ear infection and strep throat.) Poor little one, luckily she is much better now and back to her happy self.
  • Cleaning - again and again- this is not my favorite part of taking care of the seegmillers, mainly because nothing that I  clean stays clean for long...:)  But we do it over and over... We clean little people, we clean floors, and doors, and windows and cars and especially after kids are sick we do laundry and wash everything, so not to repeat the sicknesses again and again.
  • Love and affection - ah, another of my favorites - I love to cuddle and kiss my silly little family... I love when my little ones say things like "mom, will you cuddle me on the couch and read a book" (how could you ever say no?!)  I love putting my kids to bed (most nights unless I'm really tired - and that happens too)  I love getting to ask about their day and their favorite parts, I love helping to say prayers and reading scriptures with them and books, and I love singing them songs and kissing them good night. 
Taking care of the Seegmiller's - Best Job around! :)

No comments: