We got to say goodbye - It helps - even as it hurts, and was hard to see him that way. I was at home with my family. Jeff was giving the lesson for FHE - I don't remember now what it was about. My mom called - "come now, and call your brothers..." He wasn't going to make it. I was on my way. Jeff has been so understanding and supportive. I remember the drive too well, I was pleading and crying, but at the same time hearing whisperings of comfort and reason, and that it was time for him to go. I'm grateful for that.
We all made it to the hospital, even my brother in California caught a flight and we were able (two at a time ) to go in and see him and say goodbye. Mom's bishop was there. After we all said goodbye, my brothers gave him a blessing of release and peace. THe doctors said his heart was too damaged and wasn't getting blood to his organs. I just remember coming home and jeff holding me as I cried til I fell asleep.
Dad officially passed away Tuesday Morning. I had a Doctor's appointment for the baby and then I stopped at Jeff's work to bring him something. I locked my keys in the van. (I guess I was a little distracted.) Now, I see that this must have been one of those tender mercies - because I was still with Jeff at work when I got the call that he was gone. My brother came and opened my van (nice to have a locksmith for a brother.) :)

We have spent the last couple of days at my parents home, going through pictures, memories, planning the funeral, going through such miriads of emotions. From being angry to sad, to just knowing he was not hurting anymore. Those of us who could, went to the temple last night - took mom. It was really good. THrough it all, I've also had peace, even though I miss him. Friends and family have called and come, and it helps us get through this time of saying goodbye, or til we meet again...
We miss you daddy.
10 comments:
I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. I'm so grateful for the gospel and that you will be with him again. Hang in there and let me know if I can help in any way.
Rebecca, I am so sorry to hear about the death of your dad. How wonderful it must be to be able to attend the temple with your family during this difficult time to help put things into perspective. If you need anything, please let me know.
Oh, Becca.
Thank you for sharing this tender and heart-breaking experience. Your faith is so comforting and stregthening.
Cam and I are coming for the funeral. I've been getting the kids excited to meet their cousins. I'm just sad that this is the occasion that brings us back together.
We love you and have been praying for you all.
We will see you soon.
Love,
Cami
Becca, I'm so sorry for your loss. What a blessing it is to have that eternal perspective and the Gift of the Holy Ghost. Our prayers are with you. Please let me know if I can do anything for you.
Rebecca, we were sorry to hear about your dad. We're glad you were able to say good-bye and that your family is here so you can support each other through this tough time. Please let us know if we can help in any way.
Clint and Natalie
Oh my gosh Rebecca, I am sooo very sorry for your loss...I'm sorry it has been alittle crazy for us this week and I just checked my blog and messages, I'll call ya tomorrow! I am grateful that you did get to say goodbye, but regardless, I am soo sorry... I started to get teary eyed just thinkin about how fast this all came about for you...He is, he is in a better place and not in any more pain and even though this doesn't do a darn thing for how you feel right now, Just remember the Lord Loves you and probably needed your father for the preparations it will take for the Saviors coming...That is and was the only thing still to this day that helps me get over some of the losses I have had in my own family. Please let me know if there is anything ya need! Again I am soo very sorry and wish there was something I could say to take the hurt and pain away! Just remember his love...
I am so sorry to hear about your dad. I'm so glad that you were able to take your mom to the Temple and know that you will all be with your dad again someday.
Thank you so much for all the wonderful comments and support everyone has been. We are doing well and moving forward, now just to get ready for this new baby! :) It's nice to know I have such wonderful friends and family.
So sorry to hear of your loss. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Oh Rebecca, we didn't know about all this. So sorry to hear about your dad and hope that you guys are hanging in there. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
Post a Comment